Friday, January 23, 2009

This is no way to spend my birthday!

I seriously cannot believe all the crap going on right now with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and their stupid new act! Grrrrrrr! The crafting world is in turmoil and etsy has been a buzz lately. Lots of crafters could be drastically effected by the outcome of this Consumer Product Saftey Improvement Act, if it passes. Yeah, I want the supplies I get to be free of lead, but some of this is a bid ridiculous. I don't really have a lot of child in my demographic so I don't think I will be effected really, but this just made me sad when I read it:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Library Association (ALA) today expressed dissatisfaction with a public meeting held by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to discuss the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) and whether the law, which requires children’s products to undergo stringent testing for lead, should apply to ordinary, paper-based children’s books. Under the current opinion issued by the General Counsel of the CPSC, the law would apply to books for children under the age of 12; therefore, public, school, academic and museum libraries would be required to either remove all their children’s books or ban all children under 12 from visiting the facilities as of February 10.
Really? All children's books could be taken out of libraries on my birthday! This makes me so sad, I love the library! And quite honestly still love the child's section! What is this world coming too? Why are we all so afraid of EVERYTHING!
You can read the rest of this article here at District Dispatch and also more on Etsy and the CPSIA here and if you live in Brooklyn, you can go to a community chat TOMORROW 1/23 at the Etsy Virtual Labs, check out this storque article for more info. You can also go to buyhandmade's new blog here for lots of news, updates and more info. If you scroll to the bottom you can get a badge to add to your blog/website to show support.

0 comments: