Tuesday, March 10, 2009

2nd edition of slugs complete!

I just finished listing all 100 slugs in the 2nd edition and they are on sale now in my etsy shop. Please stop by to grab one before they are gone! I have been featured in the gift guides and on the front page of etsy again, so traffic is picking up. I'm excited to continue working on the new slugs in the 3rd edition. I thought it would be fun to take a look back at the 1st edition and some from the 2nd edition and also show some that weren't sold in my esty shop (because they didn't make the cut) I'll be having some giveaways of these oops slugs because I can't bare to throw them out!
This is the slug that started it all....the first one I ever made way back almost a year ago. I will never sell him or name him I don't think. It's funny but he doesn't even stand up on his own!

Here are some of the other critters I made in the beginning but never ended up listed them on the shop. I ended up liking them so much I just wanted to keep them for myself!

1. Snurtle - the shop was originally going to have slugs and snurtles. Snurtles are a cross between a snail and a turtle. It didn't take me long to realize this was a bit ridiculous. A fun novelty yes, but really? Snurtles? I didn't like the way they came out anyway. I guess it ended up looking like a snail in the end which would have been a better choice! But I abandoned that idea and focused on the slugs.

2. Special Edition Sprackle Slug - I started making jewelry and beads with this same "sprackle" effect and started up another shop at Etsy called Chromapop. But nothing sold so I again abandoned this idea. I have a handful of slugs like this, but I'm not sure what I will do with them. Can't say I like them very much!

3. Caterpillar - Now this guy I absolutely love! And my boyfriend does too! He wanted me to sell these in the shop but it was quite time consuming to make. I like him a lot, but if I was going to sell more I would have to perfect the construction. I don't like to spend a lot of time on my individual pieces. I'd rather spend a whole day making 20 slugs than spend a hour making just one....although now that I think about it, it usually takes about and hour to make just one slug when you add all the steps together! Interesting....

4. MarthaLand Mascot? - I'm not sure what this is or where the idea came from. I suppose it looks a bit like a generic centipede/worm with legs kind of critter. He was an experiment I tried after the caterpillar. Like my original slug, he does not stand up on his own! I like this little guy alot, in fact he was on my MarthaLand shop banner forever until I recently updated it! He was also the inspiration for my blue wormy napkins holders...still for sale!!!!

2 comments:

Dana Yoshimizu said...

You're so creative!

All of your work is just so cute

Martha said...

Thank you, thank you!