Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Goodbye George W.

So, today is election day. One of my co-workers said to me today, it's weird that at the end of the day we'll have a new president! And I said, it's not weird, it's awesome! But on a completely opposite note, I have been viewing Bush in a slightly different light these past few weeks than I have for the past 8 years. Most of the time I am discouraged by him, disgusted at the ridiculous things that come out of his mouth and totally dumbfounded that he was reelected for a second term. Now I have changed some of those conceptions. I'm not saying I think he was the greatest president we've ever had (in fact I really hate discussing politics, don't understand it AT ALL and try to avoid it whenever possible) but I think we forget he's a lot like us, just another human being. Why the change of heart? I went to see Oliver Stone's W. a few weeks ago, and it really put some things into perspective. Yes I understand it was a movie, not a documentary but it made me realize that I don't know much about President Bush, other than he's not the greatest public speaker! I think too often people in the public eye are too quickly judged, we forget they are only human and make mistakes just like the rest of us. I'm not going to tell you anything other than it's more about George W. as a person and his relationship with his father than being the president of the United States. But don't let this be a turn off. To anyone who was thinking of seeing it, GO!!!! Oh and be prepared for the long haul cause it's a bit slow, but I'm really glad I watched it. And I recommend going to see it in the theater for this reason because if you wait for it to come out on DVD, you probably won't make it through the whole thing. I have to say, it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but I think it's really great that it was made and I hope supporters and anti-Bushites out there will go and check it out.

0 comments: